GAME NOTES FOR 2014 WEEK 5
SPORTSMANSHIP: Another week with no coach ejections. This week there has not even been any player ejections that I have been notified of yet.
If a team has 11 or 12 players and must forfeit, A SCRIMMAGE MUST BE PLAYED. Kids up to 10 pounds overweight can participate in the scrimmage. Any player 10 pounds or more overweight cannot participate in the scrimmage and should not be allowed to practice. Once a team goes under 11 players the scrimmage is stopped.
As previously stated, everything we do – every meeting, every decision, every effort – is to provide a safe, friendly environment for the kids to play the game. The kids want to play – scrimmage or real game – and nobody should take that opportunity away from them even if all it amounts to is a scrimmage.
COMPETITION: Nine previously undefeated 4-0 teams lost last weekend. Five lost to other undefeated teams but 4 others also got knocked off by teams with at least one loss. While on one hand there is only one undefeated D1 team left on the Midget, JM and JP levels, there are still 5 undefeated D1 Pee Wee teams, 4 undefeated D1 Cadets and three undefeated D2 teams remaining.
This week 2 JM teams that won their battle of the undefeated teams last week, BAS and VBE, will play on Saturday with the winner being the only undefeated JM left in Nor Cal D1 or D2.
GAME NOTES FOR 2014 WEEK 4
We have had 4 straight weeks (approximately 200 games) with no coaches ejected from our football games in 2014. That makes 10 straight weeks without a coach ejection going back to the last 6 weeks of last season including post-season play. This is outstanding! It is important we provide a safe, friendly environment for the kids where they can play their games
COMPETITION: Battles of undefeated teams coming this weekend:
Halfway through the season and we have several match ups featuring undefeated teams going up against each other this weekend. These games include 5 match ups played at 3 different fields:
MIDGETS: Sac 49’ers (4-0) @ Richmond Steelers (4-0)
Jr MIDGETS: Solano Warriors (4-0) @ Vacaville Bengals (4-0)
Jr MIDGETS: Bay Area Spartans (4-0) @ Oak Grove South Renegades (4-0)
PEE WEE: Solano Warriors (4-0) @ Vacaville Bengals (4-0)
CADETS: Sac 49’ers (4-0) @ Richmond Steelers (4-0)
GAME NOTES FOR 2014 WEEK 3
No reports of any coach’s ejections again last week and for three weeks running. No reports last week of any player ejections either.
SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD – Don’t forget at the end of the year we take a vote of the presidents to determine which 2 associations win the Nor Cal Sportsmanship Award for 2014. Winners will have their Nor Cal associations dues covered for 2015.
PAST WINNERS INCLUDE:
2012 – Vacaville Bengals, Sac Raiders
2013 – Vallejo Raiders, South Sac Vikings
GAME NOTES FOR 2014 WEEK 2
No reports of any coach’s ejections again this week and for the second week in a row the refs reported good sportsmanship.
At 10 of the 12 locations where three or more competitive games were held, visitors and home teams each won at least one game. On the JM level 3 games were within 3 points and among the 7 JM games last weekend, no games won by more than 3 touchdowns.
GAME NOTES FOR 2014 WEEK 1
No reports of any ejections. Multiple reports of excellent games and what great hosts and visitors experienced last weekend. Refs reported good sportsmanship across the board. PLEASE KEEP IT UP!
At 8 of the 12 locations where three or more competitive games were held there were no sweeps.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 FINAL PLAYOFF WEEK
CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND SPORTSMANSHIP NOTES:
- We had 103 playoff games over the past 4 weeks and there were NO PLAYER OR COACH EJECTIONS
- Congratulations again to the Vallejo Raiders and South Sac Vikings for winning the Sportsmanship Award for 2013. Both associations will have their Nor Cal fees in 2014 covered by Nor Cal next season.
CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND COMPETITION NOTES:
- Championships were spread out. Out of 12 possible Championship titles won last weekend, 9 different associations won either a D1 or D2 Nor Cal championship.
- No association won more than two Nor Cal Championships.
- In D1 Midgets 6 of the 7 playoff games were won by a touchdown or less including the overtime Championship game.
- For the second year in a row there were NO UNDEFEATED TEAMS ON THE UPPER LEVELS (PEE WEE THROUGH MIDGET) by the conclusion of the Nor Cal season.
- We did end up with a total of 2 undefeated D1 teams (Solano Cadet and VBE JP) at the conclusion of the 2013 season. Last year we had only one undefeated D1 team (OGS Cadet) by the time the Nor Cal championships were over. No team has repeated going unbeaten over the last two years.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 PLAYOFF WEEK 3
- 89 playoff games to-date: NO EJECTIONS
- Congratulations again to the Vallejo Raiders and South Sac Vikings for winning the Sportsmanship Award for 2013. Both associations will have their Nor Cal fees covered by Nor Cal next season.
- 8 different associations will be represented at the D1 Nor Cal championships in Oakland on Saturday. 10 associations will be participating in D2 Championships on Sunday in Vacaville.
- 10 of the 14 playoff games on Saturday were won by a touchdown or less.
- In D1 Midgets 5 of the 6 playoff games over the first two weeks were won by a touchdown or less. The number 5 and 7 seeds reached the Nor Cal finals.
- Only two games (JP and PW levels) this week match the D1 #1 and #2 seeds against each other.
- We are down to 3 undefeated teams (one Cadet, JP and PW) as three previously unbeaten teams lost last weekend. Last year we had only one undefeated team (Cadet) by the time the Nor Cal championships were over.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 PLAYOFF WEEK 2
- NO EJECTIONS THROUGH THE FIRST TWO WEEKES OF PLAYOFFS.
- Congratulations to the Vallejo Raiders and South Sac Vikings for winning the Sportsmanship Award for 2013. Both associations will have their Nor Cal fees covered by Nor Cal next season. NOTE: We normally award two winners – one for the NCSC and one for the Alliance but no Alliance teams received any votes so the award is given to both SSV and VR.
- 18 of the 26 football playing associations still have teams in the playoffs (over 67%).
- 17 playoff games this weekend were decided by one touchdown or less compared to 10 games won by 30 points or more.
WEIGH-INS/ARRIVE ON TIME – Teams must be ready to go at the start of the scheduled game time or their game is subject to forfeit. You are to be at your host field no later than 1 hour before the scheduled start of your game time for weigh-ins. We have 7 GAMES PER FIELD THIS WEEKEND AND CANNOT FALL BEHIND. We don’t want the 7 pm game starting at 830 pm and ending after 1030 pm so get to your FIELD ONE HOUR BEFORE and start the game ON TIME. If a team is not yet finished weigh-ins or is not done warming up at the start of their scheduled game time that team will forfeit their game. The teams can scrimmage but the game is forfeited.
NO 8th Grade All-Star team for Nor Cal – due to not being able to get financial commitment from 18 – 22 players.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 7:
In response to some questions on DIVISION 1 playoffs, below are the rules straight out of the Nor Cal rulebook. We will have one playoff with 8 teams (combination of NSCS and Alliance teams moving up to D1). There will be two semi-final brackets – one for teams going to AYF Nationals in Florida (D1N) and one for teams NOT going to the AYF National Championships (D1L). The two semi-final winners, including the D1N Regional championship winner who qualifies to go to Nationals by winning the D1N semi-final bracket on Nov 9/10 and the D1L semi-final bracket winner, will meet in the Nor Cal Championships on Nov 16 in Oakland.
For 2013 the top 8 NCSC teams by regular season record qualify for the D1 playoffs. Unless all teams on a level agree to participate in the national championships or all 8 teams decide not to participate, the teams will be broken down into two brackets including the top 4 teams who want to go to nationals (D1N) and the top 4 teams that are not going to AYF nationals (D1L) for any reason (such as less than 16 players or cannot afford to travel etc…). D2 teams who wish to move up to D1 playoffs must notify the Nor Cal president in writing no later than Sunday of week 6….Teams forced to play in D1N do not have to go to nationals while teams forced into D1L or D2 did not qualify for D1 nationals.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 6:
HOW THE TM BOWL WORKS: We are NOT having a 25 yard tournament this year. Instead we are playing full TM games.
1) To reduce travel teams are placed at the closest TM Bowl host location possible unless teams volunteered to move to help even out the number of teams at each location. Teams were broken down into two 16 team brackets. Locations are as follows:
2) Bracket “A” AT Vacaville Bulldogs (6) – SOL, VBE, VJB, VBO, VJ, VJ2. AT Sac Matadors (10) – EG, GC, GC2, SSV, LL, RW, SCF, SL, SM, WE
3) Bracket “B” AT OAKLAND (8) – OGS, OGW, OGC, OKD, PAK, RS, RS2, BAS. AT FAIRFIELD (8) – SFB, SFO, VR, FF, SFF, RE, SR, NSH.
4) First round match ups for each location will be drawn out of a hat at the playoff meeting on Oct 21.
5) Week 2 (Nov 2/3) and Week 3 (Nov 9/10) will be the Bracket Quarter-finals and Semi-finals.
6) The two remaining teams in each bracket will meet in the Bracket Championship games at Oakland (Nov 16) or Vacaville (Nov 17)
7) If both coaches and presidents of the two Bracket winners want to play for the Nor Cal championships, they will play on Nov 24 at one of the two all-star game locations.
HOST TEAMS PLAY AT HOME WHENEVER POSSIBLE - I make every attempt to have your teams play at home if you are hosting however if 2 teams are playing against one another and both associations are hosting, the higher seed or if tied the team that won their regular season game or tie-breaker will be at home and the other team will be on the road. So for example (This is an example only – it did not happen as listed) if both SR and VBE have identical records and are hosting and their JP and JM are scheduled to play in the playoffs, the JM game would be at SR if SR won the regular season game and the JP game would be at VBE if the VBE JP’s beat SR during the regular season. If a host has a request (i.e. “I need my Cadets as the last game of the day because they help with clean up”) let me know and will try to incorporate your requests into the playoff schedule but no guarantees can be made on fulfilling the request.
NOTE ON D1 and D2 PLAYOFFS:
1) Super Conference associations – All Teams in the NCSC are Division 1. The top 8 make the D1 playoffs. NCSC teams that qualify for the playoffs with 3 wins but are not one of the top 8 teams will be moved down to D2. Movement by a team to D2 is not by choice but by record.
2) Alliance associations – All non-Super Conference members are considered D2 unless they put in for D1.
3) An association cannot send both a D1 and a D2 team to nationals in the same year. So if you qualify both a D1 and D2 team, the D1 team must go and the D2 team cannot go to nationals.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 5:
SPORTSMANSHIP: Coaches are doing a great job in this area. Through 5 weeks Nor Cal has not had one coach ejected from a game and we have had no suspensions of any coaches for any reason! Players are also doing extremely well in the area of Sportsmanship too as we have not had a player ejected and suspended the following game since week 1. We have not had any players ejected and suspended on the TM – JM level all season (only a few Midgets the first week but that also stopped starting with week 2).
COMPETITION: There were sweeps of all games by a visitor or home team on only 2 of the 12 fields this weekend. In addition we had 15 games decided by one touchdown or less last weekend compared to 12 games won by 30 points or more.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 3:
SPORTSMANSHIP – Over all we had a very good third week. For the second week in a row there were no reported ejections of any players.
COMPETITION BALANCE: 9 of the 14 associations with at least one undefeated team also have at least one winless team. Over the first 3 weeks, on 27 fields where there are at least 4 competitive games (Cadet – Midget), we have had only 3 sweeps by a home or visiting team.
BATTLE OF THE UNDEFEATED TEAMS THIS WEEK: We have 12 undefeated teams from 8 associations facing off against each other this weekend including:
Midget: Elk Grove Dukes – Oakland Dynamites. Historically two of the top Midget programs in Nor Cal. Oakland has EG this week and undefeated NSH in week 6.
Cadet and Pee Wee: Richmond Steelers – Vacaville Bengals. Two of the top programs in Nor Cal face off with undefeated teams on 2 levels.
Cadet and Pee Wee: Bay Area Spartans – Lathrop Lions. Last two undefeated Cadet and PW teams in the Alliance face off this weekend.
Jr Pee Wee: Sac 49’ers – North Sac Hurricanes. Undefeated NSCS teams vs undefeated Alliance member.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 2:
SPORTSMANSHIP – Congratulations!! We did not receive any complaints about poor sportsmanship last weekend. Sometimes small complaints come in during the weekend but major issues we hear about right away and this weekend there were no major reports of poor sportsmanship by coaches, players or fans.
COMPETITION IS BALANCED – Of the 13 NSCS association (out of 15) that have at least one team with a 2-0 record, 11 of them also have at least one team with an 0-2 record. In the Alliance 7 of the 11 associations have a least one team with a 2-0 record and of those 6 associations have at least one team with a record of 0-2.
GAME NOTES FOR 2013 WEEK 1:
SPORTSMANSHIP – Overall a great first weekend to start the season. Refs reported great sportsmanship at our games last weekend. We had only one major incident with the Midgets and it was more fans acting up than players or coaches.
COMPETITION – There were no sweeps at any of the 12 fields last weekend. Every association in Nor Cal won at least one game and lost at least one game. 14 games finished within one touchdown compared to 12 games with team winning by 30 points or more.